82 Users Online
|| E-Mail |
News from March 2010|
How you will pay more with Obama healthcare, even if you make less than $250k
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010
Information obtained from CBS News summery of bill.
- In 6 months, insurance companies can no longer deny children coverage for a preexisting condition, in 2014 this will also include adults. As this will cause more expensive insurance claims, the insurance companies will pass these costs on to the consumer with higher insurance costs. - Side note, don't get sick till after 2014.
- Insurance companies must allow "children" to stay on their parent's insurance plans until age 26th. Again, this will cause more insurance claims which will be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher insurance costs to consumers.
- Mandates on States for Medicaid are paid by the federal government only through 2016, when already bankrupt States will have to pick up the tab. So, State taxes (sales or payroll) will be need to be increased to pay for federal healthcare mandates.
- If you have very good insurance now, it may be classified as "Cadillac" insurance and taxed at 40%. There are union contracts that are considered "Cadillac" insurance. The wording is that the 40% tax will be on the insurance company, but we all know they will pass those costs on to the consumer.
- If you don't want healthcare, you'll get a $695 annual fine starting in 2014. Yes, there's tens of millions of people right now who can afford healthcare but just don't want it.
- If you work for a small business (starting at 50 employees) they will be required to offer healthcare or pay $2,000 per employee per year. As it's cheaper to pay the $2,000 fine than offer healthcare, many will choose to pay the fine and the employees still won't get a health plan. Either way, these additional costs that businesses will encounter will result in a reduction in wages and staff, or price hikes resulting in general inflation.